Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The vows of marriage

JollyBlogger put up a stunningly honest post about marriage, including revelations of his own troubles and how he and his wife have learned from them.

I'm relatively new to this marriage thing, too, but I'm finding I was probably right in my assertion it's better to embrace singleness and God's grace first and do some maturing before jumping into a lifetime partnership with someone else. I've made some horrible mistakes, but when I think back to how I was in my 20s, it's a dreadful feeling realizing how I would've compounded them with a pride that could blind and bind.

The one thing I've learned so far is it's important to remember what's important to fight for, and what is really meaningless. For example, it's important to fight for financial fidelity, but it's not important to gripe about every dollar expenditure on every receipt (especially when the one doing the griping sets a very poor example). It's much easier to recover from injured pride than to take back things said out of injured pride. I'm working hard to keep the defenses of my heart lowered so that God can be magnified. Easier said than done, because I'm finding I have a much higher opinion of myself than I should.

No comments: