Sunday, March 05, 2006

From The Son to The Suns

We try to be a full-service blog here, from theology to culture to sports, without crossing into abject irreverance (the above title excluded, I suppose).

So I wanted to point out my Phoenix Suns are without Amare Stoudamire, Kurt Thomas, and Brian Grant, and still managed to blow by the Dallas Mavericks today playing an old school style of basketball. Steve Nash, Boris Diaw, Shawn Marion ... these guys make basketball fun to watch. What an amazing display of skill and athleticism.

It's hard to define the Suns' style of basketball. They are not so much like the old Lakers as they are like the old Globetrotters, when Meadowlark Lemon was in his prime. They have a lot of fun on the court making difficult plays look ridiculously easy.

I've met Meadowlark before. He lives here in Phoenix. He spoke at my church. Nice man, anxious to preach the gospel. I admired his lifelong fervor to serve the Lord. And nobody could dish the rock like ML, not even Magic. He liked my drumming, and joked about it during his sermon. Called me a "funky drummer." Best compliment I've ever received. ML, you're the funkiest of the funky.

I don't really have a point here. I'm just on a post-game high and didn't have any great inpirational words. Terrific Sunday morning service followed by a big (and timely) Suns win. There haven't been days like this in a long time and I am thankful.

No comments: