Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Where all men (should) fear to tread

Brian Colmery is brave. He takes on the issue of the sexes in church and challenges Christian men to regain their masculinity -- to save women in your church from the indignity of dating non-Christian men.

Baring his own chest hair, Dan Edelen at Cerulean Sanctum challenges Brian's view of culture, suggesting we (meaning the Church) do a poor job of educating youngsters about marriage and relationships, and ignore their naivete' once they become adults.

I feel I have a keen insight into the topic since I was a college and career/young singles leader for many years during the 90s. You remember, back when it was cool to be 20 and single. We all sat around the coffee table and pretended to quote (with arresting vanity) German philosophers when we were really quoting a page from Bartlett's we read that morning.
Me: "Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it."
Polo-wearing hippie: "Whoa, that's deep ... which movie was that from? Anyone have a quarter so I can get an extra shot of espresso in my frappamochaalpacino?"
The truth, as I see it, is simple: There just aren't enough attractive singles in Church today.

I was an adult member of a church body for 14 years before I met my gorgeous wife, and she didn't even live in my state. The problem is I was the only attractive single person my age in that church -- and probably in that entire region of Christianity.

Sure, I could have gone to one of those single meat-market uptown churches to find a babealicious God-fearing woman (and probably a rich one with a Corvette), but I was committed to my meager suburban church body, even if I could barely look at them without cringing.

This is why I am not worried about the Maxim article which allegedly educates pagan men how to pick up church girls. When they go to church and find out just how unattractive our women are, there won't be a problem.

Gaddabout, signing out because this rush of testosterone has given me a headache. I need a Perrier and a manicure.

No comments: