My new friend David Tufte at voluntaryXchange, a Utah economist, has tagged me for a quote meme. The topic is "Quotes that were so good you had to write them down to keep them forever." I have thousands stored away -- a writer lives for the brilliance of other writers, so we might someday paraphrase them in hopes of copying their brilliance. Picking a few is difficult. I will attempt to parse the best out in this Top 10 (and I'm just vain enough to quote myself):
10. Golf is an endless stream of pressed, pleated pants. - Matthew Self, lede in a 2002 FanBoy column about the Phoenix Open.
9. America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. - Oscar Wilde
8. Pol Pot killed one point seven million Cambodians, died under house arrest, well done there. Stalin killed many millions, died in his bed, aged seventy-two, well done indeed. And the reason we let them get away with it is they killed their own people. And we're sort of fine with that. Hitler killed people next door. Oh, stupid man. After a couple of years we won't stand for that, will we? - Eddie Izzard
7. Guido Nazo is Nazo Guido. - lede in George S. Kaufman's review of debut of tenor Guido Nazo.
6. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you an automobile. -Billy Sunday
5. "Hey guys, let's try some of my songs." - Dave Grohl, from his Top 10 signs a band is about to fire the drummer.
4. Nature is by and large to be found outdoors, a location where, it cannot be argued, there are never enough comfortable chairs. - Fran Lebowitz
3. I'm told your play is full of single entendre. - George S. Kaufman to a stunned playwright.
2.If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.- Dorothy Parker
1. My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates
Anyone else who wants to participate is welcome to assume they are tagged (and please do trackback). Specifically, I'd like to tag Dan at Cerulean Sanctum, John at Scotwise, Adrian Warnock, David at Jolly Blogger, James White and the Pyro himself, Phillip Johnson. That should be a good and diverse mix of hardy readers to illuminate us with their acquired wisdom.