Sunday, January 08, 2006

A weighty matter

Rick has installed me in the weight-loss challenge. The first one to lose 50 lbs. wins.

Today I weighed in at 337 lbs. It's the heaviest weight I've ever recorded. This means I have a net weight gain of +35 after having a net weight loss of +98 (give or take a few tacos) just three years ago. That can't be good on my heart. That's that's over a 140 lbs. swing.

I was moving some stuff around the house today and took out the garbage. I was breathing really hard. I've never been this out of shape in my life. I'm 36 now. At age 15 I ran a 5:30 mile and played football. I love to sweat. I just haven't done much of it the last 10 years.

The only caveat in this competition is I've developed throbbing pains in both of my knees. I saw the doctor last week and we're still waiting on x-rays for a diagnosis. Blood tests were taken and, amazingly, everything looked good, including my blood-sugar and cholesterol. Rheumatoid was ruled out.

Unfortunately, that could mean having both my knees scoped in the next couple months. That would put me out of action for awhile.

No comments: